This test method aims to test the mechanical properties of an angled fixation device not the material component. Angled Fixation Devices are used to treat fractures.
Annex 1 -Single Cycle Compression Bend Testing of Metallic Angled Orthopedic Fracture Fixation Devices
A ramp profile of a compression-bending load is applied simulating the load in the human body.This helps determine the structural properties of the angled fixation device.
Set up according to Fig. A1.2- apply an axial load to lever arm attached to the angled device/plate. The plate is attached to a rigid anchor block support.
- Use an ADMET eXpert 2600 series Dual Column Testing System. Apply load of increasing magnitude at a constant rate.
- Use MTESTQuattro to;
- Calculate compression bending stiffness and strength analysis
- Plot Load vs. Displacement
- Plot .2% offset yield on XY Plot
- Include statistical summary;high, low, mean, range, standard deviation, +3 -3 Sigma
Annex 2 –Bending Fatigue Properties of Metallic Angled Orthopedic Fracture Fixation Devices.
The angled device is under different angle stress conditions as the bone heals. This test is run for a designated number of cycles. A fixation device will probably not endure the a large number of cycles, but this test would establish durability and reliability of the product.
- Determine the bending moment
- Record number of cycles
- Typical frequency 5Hz
For a full listing of ASTM F384, go to http://www.astm.org