This post will help guide you through climbing drum peel fixture setup and operation on your universal testing machine. ASTM D1781 deals specifically with climbing drum peel testing. More information on ASTM D1781 can be found here.
More information on our climbing drum peel fixture offerings can be found here.
- 1.1. Attach optional loading fixture to the base with 4 screws.
- Note: Loading fixture shown is for eXpert 2600 series machines. It is an optional useability tool.
- 1.2. With L-bracket in the loading position, rest drum on L-bracket.
- 1.3. Place female eye end of fixture onto base male eye end.
- 1.4. Align pin holes of male and female eye ends, insert pin.
- 1.5. Using a spanner wrench, tighten locking nut against fixture to eliminate axial play (wobbling) between platen and eye end.
- 1.6. Repeat steps 1.3 through 1.5 to install roller grip on actuated eye end.
2. Fixture Usage
- 2.1. Attach one end of substrate to the roller grip.
- 2.2. Jog cross head to a position where the bottom end of the substrate can be easily attached to the drum fixture.
- 2.3. Ensure sample is centered and loading straps are aligned in their tracks.
- 2.4. Feed substrate through grip faces. Hand tighten both screws before fully tightening to avoid slipping during testing.
- 2.5. Lower the L-bracket so drum is no longer supported.
- 2.6. Zero the force channel .
- 2.7. Mount lower grip fixture.
- 2.8. Adjust crosshead to remove slack from fixture, applying a load equal to the resisting torque.
- 2.9. Zero the position channel.
- 2.10. Fixture is ready for testing.
- 3.1. Clean fixture after use. Wipe away sample fragments or residue.
- 3.2. Fixture does not require lubricant.
- 3.3. If components become worn or damaged, contact ADMET for replacements.