Similar to ASTM D1621 and ISO 884, ISO 3386/1 is a testing standard designed to measure the compression stress/strain (load divided by specimen surface area at a certain compression percentage) characteristic of cellular flexible polymeric material (i.e. foam). This is a general guide designed to help you understand the basic test procedure and equipment needed to test your products and materials to this standard. When you are ready to perform this test, please refer to and follow the exact specifications in the official ISO 3386 document.
- Make sure your specimen meets the specified max/min dimensions and density (typical specimen pictured below).
- Center the sample in between the compression platens.
- Compress the sample until the indicated compression percentage is reached.
- Separate the platens until the sample returns to its original thickness.
- Repeat this procedure three more times, record load at the indicated compression percentage during the fourth test.