A custom axial-torsion ADMET eXpert 8600 series testing machine was designed in collaboration with the Rock and Ice Deformation Laboratory (RIDL) at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI). Among many other topics related to the ocean and its impact, WHOI scientists study the mechanical behavior of Earth and planetary materials and examine the microscopic features of rock and ice to reveal how they deform. Current research topics include tectonic plate boundary formation, glacial flow on Earth and Mars, and mantle transition zone dynamics. To read more about WHOI Rock and Ice Deformation Laboratory projects and research, follow the link below.
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) Rock and Ice Deformation Laboratory (RIDL)
Scientists at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution were looking for a testing system to simulate forces exerted on ice in the arctic. The data obtained would provide information on the mechanical properties of solid ice and be used in Rock and Ice Deformation Laboratory research and publications.
- Test types included axial compression, torque testing, creep testing, and attenuation (oscillatory load) testing,
- Specimens tested were solid ice samples, prepared and cut into a cylindrical shape with 1-in diameter and 2-in length,
- Tests would be performed at temperatures down to -30C and samples would be loaded at very slow rates to simulate forces exerted on ice in real-world scenarios.
ADMET Sales and Engineering teams recommended the eXpert 8603 axial-torsion table top testing system with engineered components and modified software.
Custom eXpert 8600 Axial-Torsion Testing System for Ice Specimen Testing
The system would be engineered to perform torsion at 0.0000003 to 0.01 rpm and 0.01 to 40Nm torque and also axial compression at 0.000001 to 0.36 ipm and 5N to 5kN axial load.
Components of the system include:
- eXpert 8603 testing machine with axial and torsion actuators
- Biaxial load cell
- Custom fixture built for ice specimens
- Environmental chamber with front and back viewports
- Uniaxial backlash kit
- Torsion backlash kit
- Uniaxial position transducer
- Torque angle transducer
- MTESTQuattro Controller and Software
Features of the system include:
- Capable of both fixed rate and fixed load/torque tests
- Axial load capacity: 5kN
- Torque load capacity: 50Nm
- Full range of speeds:
- 0.000001 to 0.36 ipm axial rate,
- 0.0000003 to 0.01 rpm twist rate
- Two different speed ranges at high gear/low gear:
- Axial: 0.36 ipm at low gear and 0.03 ipm at high gear,
- Torsion: 3.6 degrees per min at low gear and 0.0001 degrees per min at high gear
- Backlash in both axial and torsion
- High accuracy and resolution:
- Position Resolution: 0.00000004 in
- Angle Resolution: 0.000009 deg
- Environmental chamber full temperature range: -70C to 260C
- Environmental chamber temperature tolerance: +/- 0.1 C
ADMET Engineered Components
ADMET eXpert 8603 built for WHOI was carefully designed to meet the customer’s requirements. The testing system was amongst the slowest moving machines built with speeds down to 0.8 degrees per minute in torsion.
A custom-designed fixture was built with hexagonal housing for ice specimens to allow very precise angular movements. The specimens would be placed in the fixture pocket and secured in place by sliding the grip locking door into the housing.
eXpert 8600 Axial-Torsion Testing System with Environmental Chamber and Custom Fixture for Ice Specimen Testing
Backlash kits with adjustable spring loaded fixtures were included to preload the axial actuator in the compressive direction and the torsion actuator in the clockwise and counterclockwise directions. The uniaxial compression backlash kit allowed up to 1-in stroke and the torsion backlash kit allowed up to 90-degree rotation during testing.
The test application required testing ice at low temperatures. The ADMET F-280DT environmental chamber was customized per the user’s request and built with two viewports: one at the front as seen in our standard environmental chambers and another one at the back for researchers to observe and analyze ice deformation during testing. The test system was engineered such that the load/torque cell resided within the environmental chamber. The temperature tolerance of the chamber was +/- 0.1 C.
To provide further accuracy in compressive strain and torsional strain measurements, an auxiliary transducer package with two transducers and their necessary mounting hardware was developed. A linear displacement transducer with position resolution down to 0.00000004 in was incorporated in the machine design and an angle transducer with unlimited clockwise and counterclockwise range and 0.000009 degree resolution was added to the back end of the motor. If, in the future, further uniaxial or angle displacement measurements on different points of the specimen are needed, additional transducers can also be added to the system.
Controller & Software
The testing system was equipped with ADMET’s MTESTQuattro PC-based controller and software for servo-control, data acquisition, reporting, and more. All readings, including input from the environmental chamber, would be recorded and accessed through the MTESTQuattro software.
Custom eXpert 8600 Axial-Torsion Testing System with MTESTQuattro Controller
MTESTQuattro channels were configured as below:
- Axial Load
- Axial Position
- Axial Strain
- Torque Input
- Angle Measurement
- Auxiliary 1: Encoder Input (Fine Jog)
- Auxiliary 2: Angle Measurement (second axis)
MTESTQuattro axial-torsion controller standard capabilities include monotonic, cyclic, and segmented control profiles with software selectable control channels. The end-user informed ADMET that the laboratory would be using complex test profiles such as (1) hold in compression, (2) rotate back and forth or (2) load in torsion for several days at 5 in-lbf increments and (1) hold in torsion, (2) oscillate up and down at slow speeds.
For WHOI testing application and custom speed requirements, the controller was validated with its fine jog feature to maintain low speeds at high and low gear and in uniaxial and torsion directions.
In addition, MTESTQuattro features an autotuning feature for other readings such as temperature from the environmental chamber. This feature enabled accurate temperature control with tolerance +/- 0.1C.
ADMET CIT service includes critical components for proper machine setup and operation. Services that came with the engineered eXpert 8603 system included:
- Calibration: ADMET is a full service ISO/IEC 17025 accredited calibration service provider. The custom eXpert 8603 system was built for critical measurement results that will be used in published data and results. ADMET Calibration verifies the competency of the calibrator and the traceability of equipment back to the National Institute of Standards and Technologies (NIST).
- Installation: The testing system, electronics, and all components, such as the biaxial load cell, the custom-made ice specimen fixture, and the environmental chamber, were installed onsite at WHOI Rock and Ice Deformation Laboratory in Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
- Training: Focus of onsite training included machine components, how to setup and run tests utilizing the new hardware as well as all menus of MTESTQuattro software entering complex test profiles, accessing data, generating reports.
- Technical Support: ADMET Support team is based off of Norwood, Massachusetts and we are able to support our customers without the limitations experienced with offsite support services.The WHOI custom testing system was shipped with free lifetime technical support.
- Warranty: The first year of service and support agreement under warranty included unlimited testing machine, application, and software support, free software updates, depot repair or replacement of electronics, copies of all software, manuals, and calibration certificates.
eXpert 8600 Series Planar Biaxial Testing Machines
eXpert 8600 Axial-Torsion Test Frames feature oil free linear and rotary actuators for clean room operation, unlimited torsion actuator rotation, coordinated and independent movement between actuators, wide column spacings, and large actuator strokes for maximum flexibility. Systems are offered as floor standing and table-top units and come equipped with ADMET’s MTESTQuattro® Controller.
More on WHOI and Rock and Ice Deformation Laboratory
The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is dedicated to advancing knowledge of the ocean and its connection with the Earth system through a sustained commitment to excellence in science, engineering, and education, and to the application of this knowledge to problems facing society.
Research topics at WHOI Rock and Ice Deformation Laboratory include the rheological behavior of rock and ince, plate boundary deformation and strain localization, glacier dynamics on Earth and Mars.