Bend Testing Universal Testing Systems
ADMET material testing systems accurately and reliably measure the flexural properties of metals, concrete, plastics, medical devices and other products and components. Our machines can calculate flexural modulus, flexural strength, flexural strain, and yield point at capacities up to 600kN. Examples of bend tests include applying three-point or four-point flexural forces to concrete beams, plastics, and composites to determine the amount of flexural force and strength needed to break the material or the product.
Common bend testing definitions and keywords include:
- Flexural strength: The maximum bending stress that the test specimen can sustain before it yields. Flexural strength measurements are expressed in force per unit area.
- Flexural offset yield strength: The stress at which the stress-strain curve deviates by a given strain (offset) from the tangent to the initial straight line portion of the curve. Flexural offset yield strength may be a different value than the flexural strength.
- Flexural strain: The nominal fractional change in the length of an element of the outer surface of the test specimen at midspan, where the maximum strain occurs. Flexural strain is a ratio, thus is unit-less.
Common bend testing standards include:
- ASTM C1609 – Standard Test Method for Flexural Performance of Fiber-Reinforced Concrete (Using Beam With Third-Point Loading)
- ASTM D790 – Standard Test Methods for Flexural Properties of Unreinforced and Reinforced Plastics and Electrical Insulating Materials
- ASTM D6272 – Standard Test Method for Flexural Properties of Unreinforced and Reinforced Plastics and Electrical Insulating Materials by Four-Point Bending
- ASTM D7264 – Standard Test Method for Flexural Properties of Polymer Matrix Composite Materials
Bend Testing Equipment
eXpert 2600 Dual Column Testing Machine
The eXpert 2600 series universal testing machines are available in table top or floor standing configurations from 2kN to 600kN.
eXpert 5000 Modular Testing Machine
The eXpert 5000 series testing machines feature configurable frame components and a detachable actuator, giving you the ability to configure your system in a variety of vertical or horizontal orientations.
eXpert 7600 Single Column Testing Machine
The eXpert 7600 series single column testing machines are capable of performing tension, compression, flexure and peel/adhesion tests in an affordable and compact package.
eXpert 1000 Servohydraulic Testing Machine
eXpert 1000 Series servo hydraulic testing machines are ideal for testing metals, composites, medical devices and implants, concrete, webbing, and other materials at very high load capacities without breaking your budget.
eXpert 4000 Micro Test Machine
The line of eXpert 4000 series MicroTest Systems are ideally suited to meet the demanding requirements for testing miniature samples.
Bend Testing Fixtures
Bend fixtures are used to determine the flexural properties of rigid and semi-rigid materials. They are available in a variety of capacities, spans, and support diameters and widths. Both 3 or 4 point configurations are available. ADMET bend fixtures conform to ASTM D790. We also offer the bend fixture and transducer package for ASTM C1609 testing.
Bend Testing Image Gallery
Bend Testing Articles
- Flexural Testing Essentials
- Bend Testing Equipment Guide
- 3 and 4 Point Bend Testing of Semiconductor Devices
- Fiber-Reinforced Concrete Testing: Design Changes in ASTM C1609 Equipment
- Performing ASTM C1609 on an ADMET eXpert 2655 Universal Testing Machine
- How to Perform an ASTM D790 Plastic Flexural 3 Point Bend Test
- How to Perform a 3 Point Bend Test on a Universal Testing Machine
- ASTM F382-99 Metallic Bone Plate Plate -4 point Bend Test
- Pipette Bend Testing to Determine Stiffness
- Medical Needle Puncture and Bend Testing Results