Shear Testing Universal Testing Systems
ADMET material testing systems are ideal for performing shear tests on a variety of products and materials including adhesives, metals, composites, and sandwich core materials. Shear properties can be calculated via different test types including tension, flexion, and compression as well as different test set ups such as the V-notched rail method, short beam method, and more. The most common measurement obtained from a shear test is the shear strength which is the maximum load a material can withstand in a direction parallel to the face of the material, as opposed to perpendicular to its surface. It is also possible to measure the shear modulus, the shear strain, and the shear yield stress when performing shear tests.
Common shear testing standards include:
- ASTM B769 – Standard Test Method for Shear Testing of Aluminum Alloys
- ASTM C273 – Standard Test Method for Shear Properties of Sandwich Core Materials
- ASTM C393 – Standard Test Method for Core Shear Properties of Sandwich Constructions by Beam Flexure
- ASTM D1002 – Standard Test Method for Apparent Shear Strength of Single-Lap-Joint Adhesively Bonded Metal Specimens by Tension Loading (Metal-to-Metal)
- ASTM D3410 – Standard Test Method for Compressive Properties of Polymer Matrix Composite Materials with Unsupported Gage Section by Shear Loading
- ASTM D3518 – Standard Test Method for In-Plane Shear Response of Polymer Matrix Composite Materials by Tensile Test of a ±45° Laminate
- ASTM D5379 – Standard Test Method for Shear Properties of Composite Materials by the V-Notched Beam Method
- ASTM D5656 – Standard Test Method for Thick-Adherend Metal Lap-Shear Joints for Determination of the Stress-Strain Behavior of Adhesives in Shear by Tension Loading
- ASTM D7078 – Standard Test Method for Shear Properties of Composite Materials by V-Notched Rail Shear Method
- ISO 14130 – Fibre-reinforced plastic composites — Determination of apparent interlaminar shear strength by short-beam method
Shear Testing Equipment
eXpert 2600 Dual Column Testing Machine
The eXpert 2600 series universal testing machines are available in table top or floor standing configurations from 2kN to 300kN.
eXpert 7600 Single Column Testing Machine
The eXpert 7600 series single column testing machines are capable of performing tension, compression, flexure and peel/adhesion tests in an affordable and compact package.
eXpert 1000 Servohydraulic Testing Machine
eXpert 1000 Series servo hydraulic testing machines are ideal for testing metals, composites, medical devices and implants, concrete, webbing, and other materials at very high load capacities without breaking your budget.
Most shear test methods have their own unique test procedure and specify the shear test fixture to utilize in order to correctly run the outlined shear test method. Shear fixtures are either designed per the ASTM, ISO, or EN standard or depending on the shear test type, vise or wedge grips or bend fixtures can be used to determine the shear characteristics of materials. ADMET offers standard shear fixtures well as shear grips and fixtures designed per ASTM or ISO specifications.